Tuesday, April 3, 2012

gettin' my squat on!

I was just thinking last night that I haven't done squats in a while.

Lo and behold, look what's on the board this morning.

03april WOD


SQUATS!!! Drew must be psychic or something.

After a very long, but worthwile dynamic stretching warm-up, I walked up the my racked bar and got started.

I'll admit, I am a wuss when it comes to starting off with weights, especially when it's something that I haven't worked in a bit and I'm not sure how much weight I can handle. Then I undoubtedly start over analyzing how much I think I can lift and without the watchful eye of a coach, shortchange myself.

My Rounds
1st round: 55#
2nd round: 65#
3rd round: 75#
4th round: 85#
5th round: 95#

By this time, I knew that I had only really worked on those last two rounds. I could hear Laura's voice in the back of my head,"that's too light for you!" so I decided to keep going until I had to push myself more.

6th round: 100#
7th round: 105#

I stopped there. The last set of back squats I pushed a lot and I knew at any heavier I wouldn't be able to get through the set unbroken. 105#, I'll take that.

Oddly enough, before starting this workout, I thought the limiting factor for me would be how much I could front squat. Instead, it was how much I could back squat. I felt much more stable on my front squat than my back squat. Definitely not what I thought would happen.

Over the past month I have also noticed that men seem to have a much harder time with the required shoulder and arm mobility required to do overhead and front squats. They have quite a difficult time keeping their elbows up during front squats and can't quite get the full rotation for overhead. Interesting. I'll have to look into that one.

Oh yeah and I had sweet potato hash for dinner again last night and leftovers again for lunch. I'm obsessed with the stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment